PHOTO CREDIT: ISTOCK
Hiring a new employee?
The following information is to assist you in understanding the registration requirements that must be met before an RN or NP registration can be issued. A Certificate of Registration must be in place before your new hire begins their position, including orientation. Orientation is any classroom, lab, computer and/or clinically based orientation activities in or for the workplace.
Documents required such as verifications of registration or program completion, exam results, and criminal record checks may take up to 6-8 weeks. It is important that your new hire request these documents as soon as possible to avoid a delay in application to the College.
Required Documents directly from the applicant:
- Government Issued photo identification: A valid driver’s license or Passport
- Birth Certificate
- Name Change Documents: Marriage, Divorce, or other proof of legal name change
Required Documents submitted directly from other Organizations:
- Verifications: Verification of all nursing registrations held currently or in the past by the applicant from other Regulatory Bodies
- Program Completion: For new graduates, the educational institution must submit proof that the applicant completed a baccalaureate degree in Nursing
- Criminal Record Check: must be completed within 30 days prior to the application date
- Verification of Currency of Practice: Employers submit proof of the total number of hours worked by the applicant for the last 5 years
Entrance to Practice Exam:
- Proof of an exam appointment from another Canadian jurisdiction is required as part of the application for an out of province new graduate seeking a Graduate Nurse Registration.
- Proof of successful completion of the entrance to practice exam is required for new graduate nurses that have written the exam in another Canadian jurisdiction.
All applicants for registration must successfully complete the CRNMPEI jurisprudence exam. Legislation, standards of practice, and policies vary among the Canadian provinces and territories. Therefore, every applicant must take the CRNMPEI jurisprudence exam even if they took a jurisprudence exam in another jurisdiction.